The Y’s new swim lesson program is designed to help participants reach their goals and provide a clear swim lane to being safe and having fun in the water!
First, is your little swimmer age 6 months to 3 years old? Then you and your child can take the Swim Starters classes.
Or, maybe they are ready for Swim Basics. Primarily for preschoolers age 3-5, but kids ages 5-12 or anyone 13 and older may need to start here.
Then its time for Swim Strokes. Being able to swim comfortably for 15 yards or more and learning free style (front crawl), backstrokes (back crawl), breaststrokes and butterfly!
Take a look at the chart below to help you decide which class to register for. Or take your child to the Y and complete a swim test and talk to your YMCA's Aquatics Team. Students can register for one of eight stages under our three swim categories depending upon their age and current swim ability:
Benefits of this approach include:
- Accommodating students of varying abilities and ages
- Fostering a sense of achievement and self-confidence
- Staying grounded in a skill continuum that allows students to move easily from one stage to the next with clearly defined stages of progress along the way. See detailed information on the new skills taught in each of the stages
- Encouraging students to have fun and develop new friendships through group activities
- Improving communication about student’s progress
If you need additional help in determining your child’s swim stage please consult with our swim staff at the Y.